HVAC Tech Classes in Hawaii (Top Schools)

Search HVACR Certified Technician Programs

Get information on HVACR Certified Technician programs by entering your zip code and request enrollment information.

Sponsored Listings
Hawaii map

Are you interested in becoming a HVAC technician in the state of Hawaii? It has never been a better time for that!

There is a high demand for HVAC technicians in Hawaii, and it is expected that it will only rise.

In addition to that, the median salary for HVAC technicians in Hawaii is amongst the highest in the country.

It is a mind-boggling $61,330. To find out what you need in order to become a HVAC technician in Hawaii, keep on reading.


As it was said before, there is a high demand for HVAC technicians in Hawaii, and it is expected to rise by 13.6%.

While the national average for HVAC technicians in $45K annually, your salary will heavily depend on your licenses, set of skills, education, and knowledge.

What makes the demand for HVAC technicians high is the climate and tourism.

In addition to that there are not too many HVAC technicians in the area.

If you are interested to see what the salary prospects are in the ten largest cities in Hawaii take a look at the following table:

Annual Salary Range:

Average Salary of HVAC Techs in Hawaii

City NameSalary
Pearl City$48,719
Mililani Town$48,631
* Salary information last updated 2022

HVAC Licensing Requirements in Hawaii

To pursue a career of a HVAC technician in Hawaii, you do not need to have a license.

However, if you are a contractor you will need a license for your specialty field.

Others need not have a license, which is a great advantage for those who attended a vocational school, or who have gathered experience through apprenticeships.

In the case that you do not know which license you would like to obtain, one of the most popular ones is the C-40 Contractor license.

This license permits you to assemble and install devices, machinery, and units, including temperature insulation units, ducts, blowers, registers, humidity, and thermostatic controls for the control of air temperature below fifty degrees Fahrenheit in refrigerators, refrigerated rooms, and insulated refrigerated spaces and to construct walk-in refrigerator boxes.

If that got you interested for this type of license, here is a list of requirements for its acquisition:

  • Worker’s compensation insurance
  • Bodily injury liability minimum of $100,00 per person and $300,000 per occurrence
  • Property damage liability of $50,000 per occurrence
  • Proof of business residency
  • Four years of, recent (within the past 10 years) full-time supervisory work as a journeyman, foreman, supervisor, or contractor in the field (like refrigeration if you would like to pursue a C-40)
  • Pass business, law, and trade exams
  • Pay $50 application fee

If you pass the exam, and you have been licensed between October 1st of an even-numbered year and September 30th of an odd-numbered year, the contractor’s fee is $545.

However, in case you have been licensed between October 1st of the odd-numbered year and September 30th of the even-numbered year, the contractor fee is $415.

Finally, if you do not own a business, but are just looking to manage employees; the fee you have to pay is is $335 between October 1st of the even-numbered year and September 30th of the odd-numbered year and $225 if licensed between October 1st of the odd-numbered year and September 30th of an even-numbered.

EPA certification

Any person that wants to handle equipment that can release refrigerants that have the ability to damage the atmosphere must have the EPA certificate.

This is regulated by the EPA Section 608 of the Clean Air Act.

To obtain the EPA 608 Technician Certificate, you need to pass the EPA approved test.

There are three types of certification that you can obtain as a HVAC technician: Type I, Type II, and Type III.

If you obtain HVAC EPA Section 608 certificate you will be able to work with small appliances that contain five or less pounds of refrigerant.

The EPA Section 608 HVAC Type II certificate means that you can work with high and very high-pressure appliances.

This includes non-automotive systems and split systems.

Finally, the Type III EPA Section 608 HVAC certificate allows you to work on low-pressure appliances.

Examination Process

If you want to become a licensed contractor you will need to pass two exams.

One is the business and law exam, and the second one is the C-40 Refrigeration exam.

You will need to schedule those exams, as well as take them together with Experior or Prometric.

Contractor Licensing Exam

The exam has two parts. In order to take them you will need to schedule a test at an exam site that is near you, and pay an exam fee of $65.

The two parts that the exam consists of are the business and law and trade specific.

The first part covers contract management, estimating, bidding, licensing, risk management, project management, financial management, safety, labor laws, tax laws, public works laws, lien laws, and business organization.

The second part of the exam consists of the following topics: trade specifics, construction codes, regulations, building codes, trade materials, tools, equipment and methods.

Keep in mind that the test is not open book ad that it will require extensive preparation on your side.

C-40 Refrigeration Exam

This is a trade-specific exam. It consists of 80 questions which need to be completed within 3 hours.

The topics the exam will cover are the following refrigeration, commercial refrigeration, controls, sizing and estimating, test and inspection, walk-in construction, ventilation, and troubleshooting.

To pass the exam you will need to have a score of 75%.

This exam is not open book type of an exam, and hence thorough preparation is advised.

In order to be eligible for the exam you will need to pass the Business and Law Exam first.

EPA Certification Exam

You have a 12 page manual that can assist you in preparing yourself for the exam.

The fee for the certification is $24.96. Before you find a test site and take the proctored exam, which is the easiest option, you will need to opt for the type of certification you would like to obtain.

In order to pass the exam, you will need to have 85% of correct answers.

If you fail the test, every subsequent attempt will cost you $5.95.

The test is open-book. There are core questions that are repeated in a proctored environment if other certifications are pursued later.

The core portion of the exam deals with the following topics: ozone depletion, Clean Air Act, 608 regulations, substitute refrigerants, refrigeration, recovery techniques, recovery, recycling, safety, dehydration evacuation, and shipping.


Something that will definitely set you apart from the rest of the HVAC technicians is education.

Education, skills, the development of your career will make your earnings higher.

In addition to that, the official HVAC training centers are places that will most definitely prepare you for the exams that you will take, as well as prepare you for the real situations you will face on the job.

Here is a table of those centers in Hawaii:

4 HVAC Schools in Hawaii

School NameAddress
Ashworth College | Online Training for HVAC6625 The Corners Pkwy NW #500, Norcross, GA 30092
Honolulu Community College874 Dillingham Blvd., Honolulu, HI 96817
hvacredu.net (Online Training)hvacredu.net (Online Training)
Kaua'i Community College3-1901 Kaumaulii Hwy, Lihue, HI 96766


If you are looking to become a HVAC technician in the state of Hawaii, you do not need a license.

However, if you are looking to become a contractor, and bid on larger projects, and thus be a valuable asset to any HVAC company, then you’d be well advised to obtain a license.

Opt for a specialty trade, take your specialty trade exam, EPA exam, and the business and law exam, and you will be well on your way.

Find a Program