HVAC Classes in Connecticut (Top Schools)

Search HVACR Certified Technician Programs

Get information on HVACR Certified Technician programs by entering your zip code and request enrollment information.

Sponsored Listings
Connecticut map

As of May 2021, Connecticut has employed 4,360 HVAC professionals.

This number will increase more for the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projected a 5% overall employment growth for this profession.

This just proves how in-demand HVAC technicians are across the country.

So if you’re interested, this page will help you learn how to become a licensed HVAC professional in Connecticut.

HVAC Programs in Connecticut

Your journey toward the HVAC career starts with finding a suitable HVAC program.

Enrolling in a program will help you best prepare for the trade and the certification and licensure exams.

A program will take 6 months to 2 years to complete, teaching topics such as:

  • Installation, repair, and troubleshooting of HVAC systems
  • Diagnose and fix problems in electronic controls, ducts, motors, and other parts
  • Conduct inspections and perform preventive maintenance
  • Compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations

Take a look at the table below for the accredited HVAC schools in Connecticut you can consider.

24 HVAC Schools in Connecticut

School NameAddress
Ashworth College | Online Training for HVAC6625 The Corners Pkwy NW #500, Norcross, GA 30092
A Lincoln Technical Institute97 Newberry Road, East Windsor, CT 06088
Bristol Technical Education Center431 Minor Street, Bristol, CT 06010
Cheney Vo Tech School791 W. Middle Turnpike, Manchester, CT 06040
Connecticut School of Electronics221 W. Main Street, Lakeview Center, CT 06405
E C Goodwin RVTS735 Slater Road, New Britain, CT 06053
Eli Whitney Technical School71 Jones Road, Hamden, CT 06514
Emmett O'Brien Technical School141 Prindle Avenue, Ansonia, CT 06401
Grasso Regional Technical School189 Fort Hill Road, Groton, CT 06340
Henry Abbott RVTSHayestown Avenue, Danbury, CT 06810
hvacredu.net (Online Training)P.O. Box 77, Heron, MT 59844
ICPA-Independent CT Petro Association10 Alcamp Ridge, Cromwell, CT 06416
Industrial Management and Training Institute (IMTI)233 Mill Street, Waterbury, CT 06706
Kaynor Technical School43 Tompkins Street, Waterbury, CT 06708
Lincoln Technical Institute - East Windsor97 Newberry Rd, East Windsor, CT 06088
New England Technical Institute200 John Downey Drive, New Britain, CT 06051
Norwich Regional Vo-Tech School590 New London Turnpike, Norwich, CT 06360
Oliver Wolcott Technical School75 Oliver Street, Torrington, CT 06790
Platt Regional Vocational School120 Ayers Street, Milford, CT 06460
Porter and Chester Institute156 Boston Ave, Bridgeport, CT 06610
Prince Regional Technical School500 Brookfield Street, Hartford, CT 06106
Vinal Technical School60 Daniels Street, Middletown, CT 06457
Wilcox Technical SchoolOregon Road, Meriden, CT 06450
Windham Technical School210 Birch Street, Willimantic, CT 06226

How to Get Licensed in Connecticut

The Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) oversees the licenses for HVAC technicians and contractors.

There are 20 Heating, Piping, and Cooling Licenses, as shown below.

For HVAC journeymen:

  • B-2 Limited Gas and Oil Burner Journeyperson (for domestic and light commercial installations)
  • B-4 Limited Gas and Oil Burner Journeyperson (for any gas or oil-fired burners)
  • D-2 Limited Warm Air, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Journeyperson
  • D-4 Limited Cooling Journeyperson License
  • G-2 Limited Heating, Piping, and Cooling Journeyperson
  • S-2 Unlimited Heating, Piping, and Cooling Journeyperson
  • S-4 Limited Heating, Cooling, and Piping Journeyperson
  • S-6 Limited Heating, Hot Water, and Steam Journeyperson
  • S-8 Limited Journeyperson
  • S-10 Limited Heating Cooling Journeyperson

For HVAC contractors:

  • B-1 Limited Gas and Oil Burner Contractor (for domestic and light commercial installations)
  • B-3 Limited Gas and Oil Burner Contractor (for any gas or oil-fired burners)
  • D-1 Limited Warm Air, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Contractor
  • D-3 Limited Cooling Contractor License
  • G-1 Limited Heating, Piping, and Cooling Contractor
  • S-1 Unlimited Heating, Piping, and Cooling Contractor
  • S-3 Limited Heating, Cooling, and Piping Contractor
  • S-5 Limited Heating, Hot Water, and Steam Contractor
  • S-7 Limited Contractor
  • S-9 Limited Heating Cooling Contractor

Taking the Licensure Exam

The DCP has contracted with PSI to administer the exams for the occupational licensing of heating, piping, and cooling trades.

To be eligible for the licensure exam, you must meet the following qualifications:

  • For HVAC journeymen – completion of a registered apprenticeship program or equivalent experience and training
  • For HVAC contractors – at least 2 years as a licensed journeyman or equivalent experience and training

Once you’re eligible, you can submit an exam application to PSI with these requirements:

  • Completed, signed, and dated forms
    • Occupational Trade License Application
    • Connecticut Occupational Licensing Examination Registration
  • Payment of the application fee
    • Journeyman – $90
    • Contractor – $150
  • Required supporting documents
    • Journeyman – Letter of Apprenticeship Completion issued by the CT Department of Labor, Apprenticeship Training Division
    • Contractor – a copy of your current journeyman license and the date first issued
    • If N/A, then submit notarized and dated proof of equivalent experience and training, either:
      • Letters from current or previous employer(s) on company letterhead
      • Proof of your business/experience as a contractor (e.g., business permits or letters from clients)
      • Proof of related instruction (e.g., transcripts or certificate of completion)
      • Out-of-state apprenticeship completion, if applicable
      • Out-of-state licenses, if applicable

PSI will review your application, and if approved, you’ll have eligibility to test valid for 1 year.

Exam Details

Here’s some important information you need to know about the exam:

  • You’ll take the following exam portions
    • Journeyman – trade only
    • Contractor – trade and business and law
  • Exam fee – $59 for each portion
  • It will be a computer-based test
    • Business and law – 50 questions to be completed in 2 hours
    • Trade
      • B-1 – 50 questions in 2 hours
      • B-2 – 40 questions in 1 ½ hour
      • B-3 – 40 questions in 1 ½ hour
      • B-4 – 30 questions in 1 hour
      • D-1 – 70 questions in 3 hours
      • D-2 – 60 questions in 2 hours
      • D-3 – 50 questions in 2 hours
      • D-4 – 40 questions in 1 ½ hour
      • S-1 – 80 questions in 3 hours
      • S-2 – 70 questions in 3 hours
      • S-3 – 60 questions in 2 hours
      • S-4 – 50 questions in 2 hours
      • S-5 – 40 questions in 1 ½ hour
      • S-6 – 40 questions in 1 ½ hour
      • S-7 – 60 questions in 2 hours
      • S-8 – 50 questions in 2 hours
      • S-9 – 80 questions in 3 hours
      • S-10 – 70 questions in 3 hours
  • It will be an open book exam wherein you can bring approved reference materials only to the testing center
  • Passing score is 70%
  • If you fail, you have unlimited attempts within the eligibility period to pass the exam/s

Upon successfully passing the exam, you can pay the initial licensing fee to DCP to receive your license:

  • Journeyman – $120
  • Contractor – $150

Renewal Requirements

Your journeyman or contractor license will expire every year on August 31.

To renew, you’ll have to pay the applicable renewal fee:

  • Journeyman – $120
  • Contractor – $150

EPA Certification

In this line of work, HVAC professionals will eventually work with refrigerant-containing equipment.

Refrigerants are chemicals harmful to the environment, which is why the federal government requires that you get certified.

You need to obtain the EPA Section 608 Technician Certification to ensure you can properly and safely handle refrigerants.

To learn more about this, check out our guide to the EPA certification.

Potential Salary

Per the BLS, Connecticut has the following salary information for HVAC technicians as of May 2021:

  • Annual mean wage – $64,540
  • 10th percentile – $38,740
  • 90th percentile – $93,340

For your reference, the table below shows the salaries offered in 10 of the state’s cities.

Annual Salary Range:

Average Salary of HVAC Techs in Connecticut

City NameSalary
New Haven$51,401
New Britain$50,467
West Hartford$50,538
* Salary information last updated 2024

Regional Salary

RegionEmployedAvg. Annual SalaryAvg. Hourly PayTop 10% Annual SalaryBottom 10% Annual Salary
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT1,220$70,050$33.68$95,620$45,460
Danbury, CT340$65,700$31.59$88,480$39,740
Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT1,760$68,750$33.05$96,940$44,910
New Haven, CT740$71,220$34.24$98,890$45,240
Norwich-New London-Westerly, CT-RI260$66,750$32.09$90,080$46,010
Waterbury, CT210$67,270$32.34$97,550$44,780
* Salary information based on the May 2022 Occupational Employment Statistics (OES) Survey for Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers, OCC 49-9021, BLS.
* Employment conditions in your area may vary.

State FlagHVAC Schools by City

Find a Program