HVAC Tech Classes in Wisconsin (Top Schools)

Search HVACR Certified Technician Programs

Get information on HVACR Certified Technician programs by entering your zip code and request enrollment information.

Sponsored Listings
Wisconsin map

When it comes to HVAC requirements and certification the state of Wisconsin is not stringent.

There are great job prospects for those who are willing to develop their skills and their careers.

The certification is optional in the state of Wisconsin, but acquiring a license may increase your earning potential.


As a HVAC technician you can start at a salary of $31,000 a year.

With more experience, skills, and some certification you will progress to $47,000.

Here is what salaries look like in the ten largest cities in Wisconsin:

Annual Salary Range:

Average Salary of HVAC Techs in Wisconsin

City NameSalary
Green Bay$44,826
Eau Claire$43,203
West Allis$46,326
* Salary information last updated 2022


To work as a HVAC contractor you must register.

The registration is done by completing a two page form. You will register with the Department of Safety and Professional Services.

The registration process can be completed by by the owner, a partner, or the chairman of the board or CEO if it’s a corporation.

You will need to pay registration costs of $160, and a fee of $13.

Registration is valid for four years.

In case you want to work only on your property and the one owned by the business entity, you do not need to register.


While certification is optional you may better your earning potential by acquiring it.

If you hold this certification you are a HVAC Qualifier.

Additionally, your business will be a certified HVAC business.

On top of that, the local authorities will not be able to impose additional rules and requirements on you or your business.

You will need to take an exam.

Here are the requirements you need to meet to sit for the exam:

  • 1000 hours per year for a minimum of four years of supervision or performance of design, installation, servicing or maintenance of HVAC equipment
  • At least 4 years of completed education in a mechanical engineering or in an accredited college; technical, vocational or apprenticeship school; or university, in an HVAC-related program.
  • Your education and experience should accumulate to four years of experience
  • Application fee that you need to pay is $15
  • The exam fee you need to pay is $25

The exam dates will be listed on the application form.


To acquire a license you need to have completed education.

What better education to complete than that which has an approved HVAC training program.

This will enable you to gain both theoretical and practical knowledge.

Here is a list of schools that offer approved HVAC programs in the state of Wisconsin:

16 HVAC Schools in Wisconsin

School NameAddress
Ashworth College6625 The Corners Pkwy NW #500, Norcross, GA 30092
Blackhawk Technical College6004 Prairie Road, Janesville, WI 53547
Chippewa Valley Technical College620 W. Clairemont Street, Eau Claire, WI 54701
Gateway Technical College-Kenosha Campus3520 30th Avenue, Kenosha, WI 53144
HVAC TrainingN57 W 13466 Reichert Ave, Menomonee Falls, WI 53007
hvacredu.net (Online Training)P.O. Box 77, Heron, MT 59844
Madison Area Technical College3550 Anderson Street, Madison, WI 53704
Mid-State Technical College500-32nd Street North, Wis. Rapids, WI 54494
Milwaukee Area Technical College6665 South Howell Avenue, Oak Creek, WI 53154
Moraine Park Technical College235 N National Avenue, Fond du Lac, WI 54936
Nicolet Area Technical CollegePO Box 518, Rhinelander, WI 54501
Northcentral Technical College-Wausau Campus1000 W. Campus Drive, Wausau, WI 54401
Northeast Wisconsin Technical College2740 W. Mason Street, Green Bay, WI 54307
Waukesha County Technical College800 Main Street, Pewaukee, WI 53072
Western Wisconsin Technical College304 North 6th Street, Lacrosse, WI 54601
Wisconsin IndianHead Technical College600 North 21st Street, Superior, WI 54880

Local Regulations

The state law recognizes exactly what further restrictions can be imposed by the cities, towns, and villages.

If you hold the certification and are an HVAC Qualifier, then you are covered everywhere.

You do need to be registered.

The only exception to that is if the locality had laws in place prior to the mid-1990s.

You should always check with the local licensing offices if you need to meet any requirements and rules.

EPA Certification

In order to purchase and handle hazardous refrigerants you need to obtain EPA certification.

This is stipulated by the federal law, not the state law.

There are three types of certification, and the universal certification that replaces all three.

The classification depends on the appliances you want to work with.


Certification in Wisconsin might be optional, but it is what will make your earnings higher and gives your employers more confidence.

As a contractor you must register your business.

However, the process is not complicated – you simply fill out a form and pay a fee.

This way you show that you respect the laws, and again, give your employers more confidence.

State FlagHVAC Schools by City

Find a Program