Mechanically-inclined individuals may find a suitable career in the HVAC industry.
For one, being an HVAC technician is one of the currently in-demand professions in the U.S.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), this career will have a projected 5% employment growth from 2020 to 2030.
So read on to learn how you can become one and obtain your HVAC license in Ohio.
HVAC Programs in Ohio
One of the requirements for employment is completing educational training.
So many aspirants choose to enroll in an approved HVAC program to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills.
Below are some of the accredited HVAC schools in Ohio that you can check out.
47 HVAC Schools in Ohio
|Ashworth College||6625 The Corners Pkwy NW #500, Norcross, GA 30092|
|ACJVS-Ashtabula Co Jt Voc'l School||1565 State Rt. 167, Jefferson, OH 44047|
|American School of Technology||4599 Morse Centre Road, Columbus, OH 43229|
|Auburn Career Center||8140 Auburn Road, Concord Twp, OH 44077|
|Belmont Technical College||110 Fox Shannon Place, St. Clairsville, OH 43950|
|Bohecker College||653 Enterprise Parkway, Ravenna, OH 44266|
|Butler Technology & Career Development Schools||3603 Hamilton-Middleton Road, Fairfield Township, OH 45011|
|Collins Career Center||11627 State Route 243, Cheaspeake, OH 45619|
|Columbus State Community College||550 E. Spring Street, Columbus, OH 43215|
|Cuyahoga Valley Career Center||8001 Brecksville Road, Brecksville, OH 44141|
|Eastland-Fairfield Career & Technical School||4300 Amalgamated Place, Suite 150, Groveport, OH 43125|
|Edison Community College||1973 Edison Drive, Piqua, OH 45356|
|ETI Technical College||2076 Youngstown Warren Raod, Niles, OH 44446|
|ETI Technical College of Niles||2076-86 Youngstown-Warren Road, Niles, OH 11111|
|Fortis College | HVAC Training | 5 Locations in Ohio||5 Locations in Ohio, Centerville, Cincinnati, Cuyahoga Falls, Ravenna & Columbus, OH 43081|
|Four County Career Center||22-900 SR 34, Archbold, OH 11111|
|Great Oaks Institute of Tech. & Career Development||3254 E. Kemper Road, Cincinnati, OH 45214|
|Greene County Career Center||2960 W. Enon Road, Xenia, OK 44481|
|HVAC Career Training Center||Multiple Locations in Ohio, Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Akron, Toledo, OH 44101|
|hvacredu.net (Online Training)||P.O. Box 77, Heron, MT 59844|
|Jefferson county Joint Vocational School||1509 County Hwy 22A, Bloomingdale, OH 43910|
|Knox County Career Center||306 Martinsburg Road, Mt. Vernon, OH 43050|
|Live Oaks Joint Vocational School||5956 Buckwheat Road, Milford, OH 45150|
|Lorain County Joint Vocational School||15181 State Route 58, Oberlin, OH 44074|
|Maplewood Career Center||7075 State Route 88, Ravenna, OH 44266|
|Medina County Career Center||1101 W. Liberty Street, Medina, OH 44256|
|Miami Valley Career Technology Center||6800 Hoke Road, Clayton, OH 45315|
|Mid-East Career & Technical Center||400 Richards Road, Zanesville, OH 43701|
|North High School||985 Gorge Blvd., Akron, OH 44310|
|Northwest State Community College||22600 State Rt. 34, Archbold, OH 43502|
|Owens Community College||PO Box 10,000, Toledo, OH 43699|
|Penta Career Center Adult & Continuing Ed.||30095 Oregon Road, Perrysburg, OH 43551|
|Pickaway-Ross Career & Technical Center||895 Crouse Chapel Road, Chillicothe, OH 45601|
|Polaris Career Center||7285 Old Oak Blvd., Middleburg Heights, OH 11111|
|R G Drage Career Center||6805 Richville Drive, Massillon, OH 44646|
|RETS Technical Center||555 E. Alex Bell Road, Centerville, OH 45459|
|Sinclair Community College||444 West Third Street, Dayton, OH 45402|
|Springfield-Clark JVS||1901 Selma Road, Bldg E, Springfield, OH 45505|
|Stark State College of Technology||6200 Frank Avenue NW, North Canton, OH 44720|
|Terra Community Technical College||2830 Napoleon Road, Fremont, OH 43420|
|The Washington County Career Center||21740 State Route 676, Marietta, OH 45750|
|Tri-Rivers Career Center||2222 Marion-Mt. Gilead Road, Marion, OH 43302|
|Trumbull Career & Tech Center-Adult Training Center||1776 Salt Spring Road, Lordstown, OH 44481|
|Unviersity of Northwestern Ohio||1441 N. Cable Road, Lima, OH 45805|
|Upper Valley Joint Vocational School||8811 Career Drive, Piqua, OH 45356|
|Vatterott College-Cleveland||5025 E. Royalton Road, Broadview Heights, OH 44147|
|Washington State Community College||710 Colgate Drive, Marietta, OH 45750|
How to Get Licensed in Ohio
The Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board oversees the licensure of HVAC contractors.
For HVAC apprentices and technicians, you don’t need a license, but you must be working under a licensed contractor.
Type of License
The Board only has one type of state-level license to issue: the Ohio Commercial Contractor HVAC License.
To qualify for this license, you must meet the following:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- A U.S. citizen or proof of being a legal alien
- Proof of trade experience or work verification, either:
- At least 5 years of demonstrable field experience
- Currently a registered engineer in Ohio with at least 3 years of business experience in the construction industry in the trade for which you’re applying to take the examination
- Other relevant experiences acceptable to the Board
- Successfully pass the state and federal background checks
- Successfully pass the exam
- Have at least $500,000 in contractor liability coverage
Licensing by Examination
As a new license applicant, you will have to take the exam with PSI to obtain the license.
Before you can be eligible to test, you must get pre-approved by the Board first.
Submit to the Board the following:
- Duly accomplished and notarized application form
- Payment of the application fee of $25
If the board approves, then…
- Submit your background check information to PSI before sitting for the exam
- Schedule your exam with PSI and pay the exam fee of $69 for each exam portion
Note that your eligibility to test is only valid for 1 year.
Here are the important things you should know about the exam:
- It’s a computer-based test
- You will take 2 test portions:
- Business and Law exam
- No. of items – 50 plus 5 pre-test questions
- Exam duration – 2 hours
- HVAC Contractor exam
- No. of items – 100 plus 10 pre-test questions
- Exam duration – 4 hours
- Business and Law exam
- You must score at least 70% to pass
- It will be an open-book exam, so you can bring approved reference materials to the testing site
- You can get the exam results immediately upon completion marked with “Pass” or “Fail”
- If you fail, you can have another 4 attempts within the eligibility period to retest
Applying for the License
If you pass the exam, submit to the Board the following for the processing of your license:
- Duly accomplished and notarized application form
- Payment of application fee of $25, payable to the State Treasurer
- A copy of your exam results
- Certificate of Liability Insurance
Licensing by Reciprocity
The Board will grant reciprocity for the following states:
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
HVAC contractors from these states won’t have to take the Ohio trade exam; only the business and law exam.
Your license is only valid for a year from the issuance date, but you can renew it on an annual or 3-year basis.
To renew, submit to the Board the following:
- Renewal application form
- Proof of completing the 8 hours of continuing education (half online, half in-person) in Board-approved classes
- Payment of the renewal fee
- $60 for the 1-year renewal
- $180 for the 3-year renewal
In your line of work, you’ll eventually handle and dispose of refrigerants, which are harmful to the environment.
That’s why the Environmental Protection Agency requires that all technicians working with refrigerants get certified.
That certification is called the EPA Section 608 Technician Certification.
To learn more about it, check out our guide to the EPA certification.
Per the BLS, HVAC technicians in Ohio can potentially earn an average of $52,710 annually.
Entry-level HVAC technicians can earn as much as $31,440, while experts can earn as much as $76,040.
In the table below, you can check out the salary offers in 10 of the state’s cities.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of HVAC Techs in Ohio
|Region||Employed||Avg. Annual Salary||Avg. Hourly Pay||Top 10% Annual Salary||Bottom 10% Annual Salary|
* Employment conditions in your area may vary.
HVAC Schools by City
This page is also available in Spanish.